Expressing

1. Expressing Regret

a. Expressing regret about someone's personal circumstances.
- I'm sorry to hear about that
- Oh, that's too bad, I'm sorry to hear it.

b. Expressing regret about a minor accident or event
- What a pity
- What a shame
- What a nuisance

c. Expressing shock or regret about a serious incident
- Goodness!
- How awful!
- How terrible!
- How dreadful!

2. Expressing Apology
- I'm sorry, I wasn't very well yesterday
- I'm very sorry, I didn't see you
- I'm terrible sorry. It won't happen again
- Excuse me, I'll be more careful next time
- I apologize, It's my fault

3. Expressing of asking and giving permission
> to ask permission :
- Can I speak to ...?
- Could I use your telephone?
- May I come in?

> to give permission :
- Certainly
- Yes, of course
- Yes, please do
- Yes you may, if you like

4. Expressing Request
a. Wishing to get something
- "Could I see you for a minute?" "By all means."
- "Would you pass the salt, please?" "Sure, here you are."

b. Request for help
- "Would you do me a favor?" "Well, it depends."
- "I wonder if you could help me to move this table." "Oh, sure."

c. Request for Permission
- "Do you mind if I go to sleep?"
- "May I come a little later?" 

d. Request for Information
- "Excuse me, but could you tell me the way of the station?" "Yes, it's not far from here. Go straight down here, and take first turn to your left."
- "Could you tell me the time, please?" "It's twenty past ten"

5. Expressing to Offer Something
- Let me carry your books.
- Allow me to help you.
- Shall I carry your bag?
- Would you like me to prepare your stuff?

Responses are:
- That's very kind of you.
- I'd appreciate that.
- You're too kind.
- No, thanks. I can manage it.

6. Expressing of Sympathy
- I'm sorry to hear that.
- I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.
- I was deeply saddened to hear of your loss.
- You have my deepest sympathies oh the death of your ...
- May the comfort of God help you during this difficult time.

Comments

Popular Posts